1.1. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensure that accurate job descriptions are in place,
- Provide advice and assistance with writing job descriptions,
- Provide advice and assistance when conducting staff performance evaluation,
- Identify training and development opportunities,
- Organize staff training sessions, workshops and activities,
- Process staff requests for outside training while complying with policies and procedures,
- Present and assist in developing human resource related strategies & policies such as HR Planning and Development Policies and guide lines,
- Establishing, documenting, and providing staff with measure – able performance criteria,
- Provide basic counseling to staff who have performance related obstacles,
- Provide staff orientations,
- Assure compliance with all applicable employment related laws and regulations,
- Conducting and /or participating in interviewing & hiring as well as promotion & transfer decisions,
- Supporting labour and other HR related contract negotiations,
- Developing, refining & implementing employment related record keeping policies, procedures and practices,
- Assist in implementing staff safety requirements and program(s) or guidelines,
- Support and document civil service related activities,
- Suggesting process improvements to immediate Supervisor,
- Effect staff recruitment, promotion, demotion, transfer and other alternation as decided & directed by the relevant & concerned bodies,
- Follow up the overall & working plan and its implementation of HRM Directorate,
- Execute all the necessary employee disciplinary measures taken,
- Prepare monthly quarterly, semiannual & annual action plan,
- Present quarterly, semiannual and annual performance report of the Directorate to immediate supervisor,
- Provide advice and assistance to staff and management body on pay and benefits systems,
- Explain employment standards and legislation such as worker’s compensation and fair practice of civil service proclamation and guidelines,
- Play a leading & key role in monitoring, evaluating, rewarding, team building and fairly administering the employees,
- Proposing and managing operational components of the staff budget,
- Design, implement and manage organizational development programs (such as performance management, carrier development, training & developing, succession planning, leader ship development, etc) that help to establish the strategic vision for HRM and effectively meet the needs of the University,
- Coordinating, directing and supporting HR teams’ work quality control procedures,
- Reviewing and auditing human resource management in the University,
- Based on higher level Management body (MC/AC/Supervisory Board decision revising existing organizational structure & under take staff redeployment,
- Provide guidance and support in administering human resource strategies, policies and procedures to ensure that both academic and administrative staffs receive fair and responsible treatments to establish a conducive work environment,
- Utilize high level consulting skills to coach and provide feedback to respective managers on leadership direction and style,
- Counsel managers/heads to improve and concrete employee performance by utilizing measurable coaching techniques,
- Ensure positions and jobs descriptions are updated, evaluated, and market priced on a consistent basis.
- Perform any other duties as assigned to by immediate supervisor in line with the scope of tasks of HRM.
The incumbent must have proficient knowledge in the following areas: –
- Human resource management
- Job descriptions
- Performance review methods and techniques
- Staff training, development and recognition,
- Mentoring and coaching,
An understanding of Civil Service Proclamation, directives, as well as relevant legislation, policies and procedures.
2.2. MANDATE OF HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT DIRECTORATE
- Implement policies, strategies, laws and directives issued regarding Civil Service Administration;
- When directed by the institution, under takes studies of organizational structure and staffing plan in accordance with the directives on the classification of position issued by the Federal Public Service& Human Resource Development (FPS HRDM) Minister to enable it to achieve institutional goals.
- Implement salary, different types of allowances & incentives issued by Federal Public Service & Human Resource Development Minister;
- Prepare and submit human resource needs of the institution to respective bodies, implement and follow up same up on approval;
- Implement employment, placement, promotion, transfer, performance appraisal and disciplinary measures of Civil Servants in accordance with laws and directives;
- Implementing enabling directives for women, handicaps and members of nationalities comparatively less represented in the government office that enhance their employment opportunity and participation in dealing with civil servants affairs and follow up its implementation;
- Execute staff regular working hours, overtime work and different leaves as of civil service proclamation 515/2007.
- Introducing staff obligations and ethics expected from staff of the University.
- Conduct training needs assessment of the institution’s employees with a view to make employees training effective, implement same up on approval, supervise its implementation;
- Ensure that the work place does not cause hazards to the health and safety of employees and proposes to provide them with protective devices and materials and give them instructions on their usage;
- Organize uniform human resource data management of the institution, collect and organize statistical data regarding employees of the institution and disseminate to the concerned bodies of the institution;
- Present service extension request of employees beyond retirement age to Federal Public Service & Human Resource Development Minister, follow up its final decision and implement same up on approval.
- Provide consultancy services on Human Resource Management issues.
Provide quality human resource services to attract, develop, motivate and retain a diverse work force within a supportive work environment. We do this with an emphasis on customer based service delivery on consultation and communication with members of JKU Community. The HRMD is also committed to support and to implement HRM policies, strategies, laws and directives issued by Federal Public Service & Human Resource Development Minister aimed at ensuring good governance and operational excellence.
Honesty and integrity
Transparency and accountability
• Respect for rule of law
• Sense of belongingness and ownership
• Great respect for our works and delivery services
• Professional ethics
• Nurturing diversity
• Impartially serve the customer & stake holders
• Promote meritocracy and Excellence in service delivery