Program currently running in the department of economics is
- A. program in Economics (Regular and Weekend)
- Lecturer- No of staff: 9
General Objective of the Program
- The aim of the program is to produce high level professionals in Economics that will benefit the country’s sustainable economic development.
- The program offers students a comprehensive basis for professional and academic careers and further education in any economics specializations, through courses and thesis work.
- Students will be equipped with a solid knowledge of economic theory as applied to development issues, natural resources, and other socio-economic issues concerning the developing countries in particular and the globe in general.
- Generally, The department has the objective of producing high level qualified experts in different professions, launching different research findings to the advantage of the local/country, and providing consultancy service to the community that will benefit the country’s development endeavour, which will foster the Growth and Transformation Plan (GTP) of Ethiopia to reach the middle income countries in the near future.
Specific objectives of the program:
With these general objectives, the prime and specific focuses of the program is:
- To produce Economists (Economic thinkers) with basic skills that would help to teach and do research in areas of economics.
- To better acquaint the students with solid understanding of microeconomic theories, macroeconomic theories, and other economic issues for intelligent applications of economics in a way that improve the quality, relevance and output of undergraduates in economics in Ethiopia.
- To equip the students with the necessary methodologies in economics that enable them explain the economic phenomenon, undertake economic analysis and design economic policy.
- To highlight the different applications of economic theories in various sectors and expose the students to the different sub-discipline of economics [laboreconomics, agricultural economics, industrial economics, environmental economics, financial economics, etc]
- Produce graduates with a skill of planning, Project preparation, monitoring and evaluation.
- To enable the students undertake theoretical and applied researches relevant to the overall development strategy and vision of the country and address national problems of socio-economic roots; and disseminate research findings through outreach program.
- To promote interdisciplinary collaboration among the various programs in training, research and extension.
- To offer short term training courses and provides consultancy service for different organizations and community.
- To show students how economic science evolved, its present and future vision of the field and make them up-to-date with the dynamism of the field.
A graduate profile is derived from the professional profile and describes the competencies that a graduate (beginning professional) is expected to have as a result of their educational programs. It determines the program goals and the skills and knowledge needed for a beginning professional. As a result, after completion of their study, the graduates will be able to achieve the discussed below knowledge, skills and attitude.
Knowledge and Understanding
- Microeconomics theories and their applications
- Macroeconomic theories and their applications
- Mathematical techniques, theories and their application in economics
- Economic applications in different sectors (financial, education, infrastracture, environment, money market, public policy, agriculture, etc.)
- Statistical and econometric tools and applications
- Economic applications in Developmental issues
- Economic applications in labor market and industrial sectors
- The evolution and development of economic ideas and thoughts
- International trade and finance
- Planning, project analysis and evaluation
- Basic computer skills and software applications in economic research and analysis
- Research proposal developing skills and writing research reports and professional articles
- Interviewing (conducting of survey) skill
- Critical socio-economic phenomenon observation and data analysis skills
- Both quantitative and qualitative socio-economic research skills.
- How to use empirical evidence to evaluate an economic argument
- How to conduct appropriate statistical analysis of data, and explain the statistical problems evolved.
The department is a program of study that normally takes three years to complete for full time regular students and four to five years for part time students. The department will admit if the student:
- Have been successfully completed preparatory level schools and pass Entrance examination for the University prepared by Ministry of Education.
- Have able to pass the standards set by the department.
Duration of the Study
The program will have Three-year duration, with one semester consisting of 16 weeks.
- No ‘F’, ‘NG’, or ‘I’ grade in any course taken.
- The minimum number of credit points (EtCTS- Ethiopian Credit Transfer System) hours set by the department and all required courses are taken.
- Minimum Cumulative Grade Average Point (CGPA) of 2.00 in all courses