The science of biology deals with the systematized acquisition of knowledge on living things and their environments in its basic aspects and the use of such knowledge to benefit mankind in its applied aspects. Biological issues are at the heart of the daily life and survival of humans irrespective of differences in culture, geographical location, wealth and levels of advancement. Biological principles are practiced ranging from primitive societies that use crude ways of getting food and other survival requirements from the immediate environment through hunting and gathering to the most advanced societies that use cutting edge technologies to solve problems that challenge the survival and wellbeing of mankind. Research in climate change, biofuel production, and rapid propagation of crops, gene therapy and cloning are examples of the latter category.
The relevance and importance of biological teaching and research to Ethiopia is thus apparent. As a developing nation aspiring to achieve overall advancement, the country has the option to combine both low and high level knowledge in biology to benefit its society particularly in the areas of food security, health, environmental protection and climate change. The country promotes the science of biology through advanced level university study and research. This document is the Harmonized Curriculum of Biology teaching for the Bachelor Degree Program across the various universities Nationwide.
3.1. General Objective
The overall objective of the program is to train students of high academic caliber at Bachelor of Science level who can take up position in various related disciplines such as teaching, agriculture, health, environmental conservation, industries etc.
3.2. Specific Objectives
The specific objectives of the program are to:
- Enable students acquire practical and technical skills required for utilizing biological tools.
- Produce responsible graduates that are committed to their profession.
- Train students who can design and apply the principles of biology to identify and solve societal problems related to environment, agriculture, health, industry and teaching.
- Produce candidates for teaching biology in high schools and higher learning institutions of the Country after taking the necessary pedagogical training.
- Lay the foundations for a tradition of research oriented and practical system of biology education in the country.
- Produce trainable man power for advanced biological and related fields of study.
- Produce graduates capable to analyze and interpret biological data, and present scientific reports in the form of articles, posters or oral presentations.
- Graduate Profile
Upon completing the undergraduate study program in Biology, a graduate should develop scientific concepts (knowledge), critical thinking and problem solving ability, effective communication skills and ethical responsibility with the appreciation of cultural diversity.
Specifically the graduate can:
- Be recruited as a prospective staff in higher learning institutions and competently teach biology in high schools after receiving basic pedagogical trainings
- Assist, participate in and conduct researches in various biological disciplines
- Work as researcher in industries, research institutions and governmental and non-governmental organizations
- Systematically collect, catalogue and preserve field biological materials and museum specimens of plants, animals and microbes
- Applied the techniques of culture media, and carry out culturing, isolation and identification of micro-organisms and report
- Analyze and interpret biological data and write and present scientific reports
- Operate basic biological equipment
Pursue postgraduate trainings in national as well as international higher learning institutions
- Participate in the process of solving environmental and conservation problems of the Country.
- Provide professional service and leadership in biological disciplines, positively influence the society and serve as agent of change in matters related to biological sciences such as conservation and management of natural resources; disease control, etc.
- Admission Requirements
In order to be admitted to the Undergraduate Degree Program of the Department of Biology, a candidate must:
- Successfully complete the Preparatory Program or equivalent with pass mark in natural science; or have equivalent qualification; as per the admission rules and regulations of the university and ministry of Education or
- Have diploma in biology or other related biological disciplines from any accredited higher learning institutions.
- Duration of Study
The Biology Bachelor Program is a 3-year program divided into six equal semesters.
- Mode of Delivery
Individual courses and modules could be delivered by different mechanisms including lectures, seminars and tutorials, practical sessions, fieldtrips (field work), workshops, individual or group projects, problem solving classes, demonstrations, group work, self-directed assignment and professional attachment. Other modalities could be added based on the nature of each course and available resources.
- Mode of Assessment
Continuous and/or summative assessments which could include examinations, practical and field reports, essays, oral and poster presentations, data interpretations, problem solving, attachment reports and projects, etc.